Worst House That You Lived in?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Muthoni, Dec 8, 2014.

1. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

The absolute worst was a house we rented, temporarily, between a job move. In general, it was a solid home, but it wasn't finished in one spot so it was exposed to the weather. It needed a paint job badly too. The landlord promised all of that would be taken care of before we landed and even put it in writing. What did we find when we got there? A dump that had, literally, nothing done to it. We were given some sob story about what happened. The landlord turned out to be the town lunatic that everyone, except those of us coming in from elsewhere, knew was a nutjob. After a bit of back and forth we finally said to hell with it and bailed to another rental and then finally bought a place. She was such a mental patient, I also bailed on the office space I was leasing from her, and went with a reputable firm in the area.

Long story short, avoid the nutbags when possible. And getting it in writing will only go so far; you'll "win" eventually, but its a Pyrrhic victory. And finally, the best revenge isn't getting into a lengthy financial or legal situation with such a person, its abruptly, and legally, ending any business with them so they get nothing from you financially. If this particular individual would have engaged in an absolute minimum of competence and honesty, she's had gotten thousands for the effort. Instead, she got a couple folks who told her to pack sand and next to zip in greenbacks.

2. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

I have only lived on two houses in my whole life and both of them were fairly good, so I am lucky in that particular, I never experienced something dreadful and scary as a place to live.

3. My401K

My401K Well-Known Member

Probably the one I live in now. i think it is haunted. Weird things happen here and i have never been able to figure out why. Also the property taxes keep on going up and what we get in return keeps declining. It feels like we have been in this cycle far to long, i will be happy when things finally turn around.

My other complaint about this house- field mice every fall like to try to get in. I don't like that at all.

4. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

I like the best revenge tactic you are talking about there SteakTartare, i have used it before and it works awesomely... i always end up in laughs {last laugh}...am sort of caught up in a weird case with 'relatives from the heart of hell'...and such a tactic with utter sweetness and subtlety will work up huge miracles for me :)...and yes i totally agree with what you've said in your thread :)

5. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Before moving into a house, i like inquiring about its history first, before i make any decisions in that regard, have you thought of getting ghost-busters in that regard My401K or just looking for another house, so as to be at peace ?...just asking :)

6. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

I've seen quite a few places even if I haven't lived in them and they are scary, but if we put the effort in we can make them pretty decent places to live in. It's all about love.

7. ally79

ally79 Guest

Our worst house was actually, and still is, my favorite house. It was a shop on my husband's family land that was converted to a studio apartment. It was cold, or hot, all of the time. It flooded EVERYTIME it rained, there were bugs, especially spiders, to the point that we are pretty sure we are immune at this point even to black widows because we were both bitten numerous times. It took me five minutes or more to steel myself to get into the dark, and very scary concrete block shower with freezing cold water. Even with all of that I would go back in a heart beat. We moved away and came back several times. The final time we left because my daughter was about to start crawling and we couldn't let her on the floor there.

We bought this house then, well I guess we are still buying it, but if we had not had children we would probably still be there. Nowhere else has ever felt like home like that place did. :)

8. Muthoni

Muthoni Guest

That must have been horrible enduring the smell for three years. There is nothing one can do to prevent smell from invading a home. It must also be terrible to look at a garbage site every day. Thankfully that is all in the past.

9. Muthoni

Muthoni Guest

Ally79,That is a funny twist that the worst house is also you most favorite place. I usually wonder how bugs get into a house even when living far above the ground. I have on two occasions noticed a locust in my present house when I came home after a day out. I guess this is what makes life interesting.