Would Marijuana Stocks Be Good Short Term Investment?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Education' started by Rainman, Nov 3, 2014.

1. agentd

agentd Member

There will always be demand... but the legality of everything is what makes this a scary investment to me. With so many states resisting the legalization I can't see this being a long term investment. But Colorado has seen a lot of positive from the legalization of weed so I do think it is something to consider.

2. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

I don't really think it's good to invest in marijuana right now. It still has a limited market so investing in it at the moment would not be wise at all. Maybe when it becomes legal worldwide I would think of investing in it. But for now it's still a total no for me.

3. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I've talked briefly with people here and there who decided to buy into the hype a while back, who have told me they've lost their asses since then. :D

4. Hedonologist

Hedonologist Well-Known Member

:D

Seriously though, by all means invest now, but this is being quite hyped in my opinion, so look to sell when the fire cools. Of course it could end up being stable and I suppose its even possible that a repeal of the legalisation might be on the cards, threatening everything. A good thing to invest in for the higher risk part of your portfolio.

5. CarpeNemo

CarpeNemo Well-Known Member

It is extremely risky right now. It's not something to jump into without some kind of idea how the market is playing. With legality still wishy-washy, and nobody really knowing which way the wind will blow, I'd say hold out a bit longer before you go buying stocks. It'd probably be safer to pack up, move to Colorado, and open your own dispensary than to buy stocks in them. If you wanted to get involved anyways, find the biggest names who've been around the longest, read up on their trends and profits, and make an educated decision from there.

6. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

Yeah, that's exactly what I have heard as well. Don't buy into it, guys.

7. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

Marijuana is still illegal on the federal level, so you can still get busted if they choose to bust you through loopholes. That's why this recreational marijuana legalization fad is somewhat of a slippery slope.

8. JR Ewing

I made the educated decision years ago to avoid this industry all together as long as it's not legal on the federal level and the companies involved don't have the existing fundamentals I look for. ;)

Agricultural investments are risky enough as it is without the added legal / political risks things like whackie baccie bring to the table.

9. Investor

Investor Well-Known Member

any company that "trades" in marijuana will be a good investment choice, for this simple reason. Companies do not invest in nonsensical things, companies aim big! the little man on the street selling his ganja will NOT be able to influence a big marijuana company. A marijuana company will no doubt supply hospitals, pharmacies and several drug stores with their products, while the man on the street will sell his product to a "weed head" or a group of people, that will not be enough to stamp a hole in the profits of a company that sells for a medical purpose. So, as soon as a ganja company pops up in my country- I'm investing!

10. JR Ewing

Of course many "companies" themselves fail, and all make at least the occasional blunder. Don't put all of your eggs into any one basket.