Would Obama appoint a Republican to the Supreme Court?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Alex, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

2. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

Hopefully they will stay true to their word and vote against nominating any of Obama's Supreme Court nominees. Sandoval is well known as a pro choice advocate, so he'd be a no-go with 95% of the Republican caucus anyway. It wouldn't be a bad PR move for Obama to select him though. Knowing that he'll be rejected, Obama will be able to say the Republicans are being obstructionist, even though he tried to nominate one of their own to the bench. It would be a pretty savy move. I think Obama would nominate another far left progressive, if he had free reign though.

3. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

You call it savvy, I call it slimy... not much difference, is there? :) But deceit, manipulation, spin... yes, it's what I've come to expect from this administration, so if this nomination actually happens, I guess we all pretty much know that it was done as another pathetic attempt at a bad PR move done to manipulate/alter people's thought patterns. My goodness.

4. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

What people fail to realize is that Congress by being obstructionist and unwilling to work with the President whomever he or she might be is blocking any good and positive change that might happen with the country. And by electing another polarizing figure to the White House.ie Trump, Clinton.it is going to be business as usual. The spirit of compromise is seriously lacking in Washington, and that is why this country has problems.

5. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

He's apparently trying to get Harry Reid's "moderate" Republican buddy, the Nevada governor on.

I think it's a no-brainer that he will try to get a "Republican" on the court who is indebted to the dems, or who they have something on or whatever. Basically someone who they can control and count on to vote along dem party lines and ideologies, despite them being a "Republican".

And McConnell and co are probably stupid enough to fall for it, and to probably think they're "winning" in getting a RINO on the SCOTUS. Obama will probably even con them into giving up something else for the "favor" of Obama appointing a handpicked RINO.

And the Repubs in charge will probably try to spook their ranks into going along so that they don't "lose the elections", when they will do just that if they continue to go along. :rolleyes:

6. petesede

petesede Guest

I think what is happening is this. Obama is going to mention the Utah Gov, and he is going to get Republicans to admit that they are not going to hold meetings for any nominee. They are then going to sell that fact during the senate elections. You already see Senators-R who are up for re-election in purple and blue states feel uncomfortable. Grassley for example.

This maneuvering is much more about the senate races than the actual SC. Obama is going to play some politics for the next month or two that may swing a few senate races.

The important thing to remember is that Obama or Hillary does not have to appoint a bleeding heart liberal to shift the balance. Basically everyone who is breathing right now is to the left of Scalia.. even nominating a moderate Republican would shift the bench to the left. I personally don´t think he will nominate a Republican just because he would alienate senate dems. I think he will go with a very moderate democrat.