Would Selling Non-lethal Ammo Bring To An End Mass Killings?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Rainman, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Those who propose such measures seem to forget that there are lots of other weapons someone who intends to commit such acts can use. Terrorists who can't get their hands on guns can use knives, swords — anything.

Do you think banning the sale of certain types of ammunition would maybe reduce gun violence?

2. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

Banning something just means that someone can't buy it legally, but people will always find other channels to buy things. If you ban the ammunition then surely it makes sense to ban that weaponry too, as you can't sell weapons without a means to use it?

I don't think it will help that much, because it's apparent there are other weapons that can be used, and people are willing to buy for one another or steal weapons. It's making them available that's the issue and that people want to have them available too. When faced with someone who is carrying out a mass killing, would having a gun help you? You are more likely to get shot first as you would be considered a threat.

3. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

No I doubt it will, because if people want to do something they will find the means to do it.

Take a look at France and some of the gun crime in the UK. Ok they don't happen on a regular basis but banning them has not worked either.

4. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

It would have next to zero impact on gun violence, imho. People tend to forget various gun control efforts have been tried over the years and most were a massive fail. There was a federal assault weapons ban in place for a decade and it did zip. The National Firearm Act that was passed in the US over 80 years ago (1934) aimed at "gangster weapons" didn't do squat to stop organized crime. There was an, essentially, complete ban on handguns in Washington DC and Chicago, and both had and still have some of the worst crime rates in the world. Mexico has some of the strictest gun laws in the world, but is in almost complete anarchy at the present. The list goes on and on.

5. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I think at this point in time, the only effect a ban on guns has is if the crime committed using guns gets on the news or not.

As I've said, if people want to get their hands on guns they will do. Bans, regulations and such don't do anything.

6. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Prohibition only takes things away from those who actually obey such laws. If someone is a murderer, terrorist, armed robber, or whatever, they are already breaking other more serious laws.

7. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

Well it'd obviously prevent lethal results. But I don't think it would curb the epidemic going on at all. People will still do it and this just won't happen. The government has an agenda to uphold, they won't go this route. They'll just get rid of guns altogether.

8. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

And why would you sell non-lethal ammo? I mean.. what's the point of making it available to the public? Why would anyone need such a thing? Only thing I can think of is self defence but there you already have many very effective less than lethal solutions that don't require you to own a firearm in the first place.

9. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

Enough lethal ammunition is manufactured in the USA it would be very easy for people to get it.
    Banning something does nothing, look at drugs.
    Did making cocaine illegal make it more difficult to get?
    Nope.

10. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

I agree with you. The ban will only penalize the legal sales but not the illegal procurement particularly in the underground market. Even if guns and any kind of weapon will be banned, I don't think killings will stop because criminals will always find a way to get their needed weaponry and ammunition. What the government should do is to be alert and fill up all areas with police. As they say, police visibility discourages the criminals in committing crimes.