Would you buy a rolex from Amazon?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by BerndFoll, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

I would not buy such an expensive item at Amazon no, I would feel safer getting it in a local shop, trying it on and knowing where I could return if I had any question.

2. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

When I'm buying something that's expensive I'd rather go to the actual retailer rather than but from a selling site such as Amazon. There's nothing to say it isn't genuine but at the end of the day, when your looking at buying something as expensive as that, would you really want to take the risk?

3. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I definitely would not buy an expensive item, such as a Rolex, on line. Chances are that it won't be genuine and you will end up wasting your money. If you have the money to buy as item such as that it is better to purchase it from a local dealer you know you can trust. I am with Admin on this one. I would buy myself a Harley instead.

4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I would never purchase a high ticket item Like that online ever. There is too much of a chance you will get ripped off one way or another as there are many fraudsters that hide by the cover of their computer. If you are going to buy something like a Rolex, you should go to a jeweler so you can have the total experience.

5. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Just to clarify, my experiences with price matching are mostly with Best Buy, Staples and Walmart. I usually do specification, local availability and price research on line before leaving the house. I have a QR app on the smartphone which I mostly use to look up specs of seemingly like items actually found on the shelf. I don't necessarily chase nickels and dimes on small stuff; I want the local store to stay in business. Sometimes price matching isn't exact, but close is good enough for me. Instant gratification, no shipping, and so forth.

That said, I recently bought a set of FRS radios from Walmart. The Walmart web site price was 12% less than the store price. The stocking clerk said Walmart stores do not match web site prices. The checkout person says they do match the web site pricing, took a look at my phone, and rung up the sale. Pays to ask.

HTH. YMMV.

6. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Thanks for the information, @baudwalk. As you say, asking doesn't cost a dime but could in fact save someone a substantial amount of money. Customer service reps are always eager to listen to anything customers say after all. Best to have the information before facing the checkout clerk . . .

7. missbishi

missbishi Well-Known Member

That's a really nice watch and if you can afford it then why not?

On the whole, I'd be dubious about buying such a big ticket item online but closer inspection of the seller reveals that they do have stores in NYC and appear to be quite reputable. I assume that they are using Amazon as an easy way of increasing sales. I'd waver towards buying from Amazon, once I'd satisfied myself that I was protected by the returns policy.

If you do decide to buy here, it's worth looking for a rewards site which offers cashback on Amazon purchases. You should be able to net yourself a nice little bonus.

8. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

I received a number of positive Twitter messages for my "pays to ask" comments above. Thank you all, glad to help.

9. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

To me this is quite simple. If you can afford a Rolex, you can probably afford that little extra to buy it from a certified dealer. It's good to look for the best price but when buying something like a Rolex then you need to be certain that it's real.

10. LindaKay

LindaKay Guest

Whew. Gorgeous watch, but no, I don't think so. I buy Michael Kors and Coach purses online, but they are only a few hundred bucks. I bought a Chanel purse online once and found out that it was fake, even though I paid almost $2,000 for it. I still carry it like it's real, though, haha! If buying online, at least make sure that you buy from people that have a good, solid reputation.