Would You Forgive Someone Who Tried To Murder You?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Most people wouldn't. But fact is people do change and when they do they deserve to be forgiven. Last year a NC police officer had an altercation with a man. The man whipped out a knife and tried to stab him in the head. The officer to defend himself shoved a gun in the man's face and came pretty close to squeezing the trigger. The men met a year later . . . and got to be great friends.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/09/11/police-officer-poses-photo-suspect-who-tried-stab-him
    Question: would you forgive someone who tried to kill you?

2. Yosh

Yosh Well-Known Member

I think it depends. If they were genuinely sorry and tried to repent, I think it would forgive them. If they were scumbags and don't care / only want forgiveness because they were caught, then no. People have bad moments. If they're able to get themselves out of that, then that in itself would be worthwhile. Sometimes it takes a really bad move in order for them to realise that.

3. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

It definitely is the right thing to do and it is what we are supposed to do, but if I were in that situation, I really do not know what I would do.

4. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

Forgive and forget, right? I think holding on to grudges won't help you evolve as a person. Just do the right thing and be the better person.

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

The topic says murder, in your post you talk about someone trying to kill me.
    If it was something done purely out of a moment of bad judgement... then maybe. Something like... well someone texting while driving and almost driving over you. That kinda stuff I could forgive. If someone planned the whole thing and really tried to kill me on purpose, I don't think I could (or even wanted to) forgive that.

6. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Definitely with you on that comment...change in heart and behavior will melt my heart and I'll be open to forgive...but then again there are those, even after you forgive, they continue in the same murky waters...that's when I step back and disappear...you can only forgive someone too long...

7. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

When someone tried to kill me in 2009 all I had in my mind for months is how I could get my vengeance. An eye for an eye thing. But I had to leave the city soon after [for other reasons] and since I no longer could see my enemy my desire for vengeance began to fade until eventually it was all gone. There was but one thing left to do. Forgive the man and forget him. I suppose I could forgive anyone else who tried to kill me. It might take some time though.

8. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure, it depends... If that person has a mental issue or they were hallucinating, or if I was the man who fought with the police and the guy were nice after that I would probably do it, but it would be a really weird friendship after that.

9. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I really do not know...I mean I would want to and my feelings now are telling me I should, but the person tried to take my life away and that is a pretty big thing.

It really would have to depend on the circumstances, I mean if it was just a drunken attack in a show of power or mindless violence then I doubt I could, but if it was a reaction in a state of panic then I probably would forgive.

10. missbishi

missbishi Well-Known Member

Well, they do say that forgiveness enables you to let go of the past and move forward. I think the fact this guy managed to turn his life around makes a big difference - he's accepted respnsibility for what he did and that's abig thing to do.