Would you have a corporate job or be a freelancer?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by tournique, Jan 22, 2015.

1. tournique

tournique Well-Known Member

Given the opportunity in both cases, which would you pick? And let's say the freelancing pays as high as the corporate job.

2. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

I don't know if I wanted to be a freelancer, I would have to be very sure that I would get a steady income or else I would get the corporate job.

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

It depends on what kind of work we are talking about. But in general I prefer the corporate version, it's much more secure. Once my investments bring in enough cash flow then I'll be much more comfortable with a freelance job. Currently I also do freelance but the problem is the uncertainty... it's not fun when you can't be sure when and how big the next paycheck will be.

4. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

I agree, the corporate version is safer, but there are people who can't work for others. Those sometimes have success, but other times they can ruin their lives, I've seen it happen.

5. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Being a freelancer offers one freedom to work when they please. There's no boss to answer to. There's much about freelancing that makes it a better option than a 9:00 - 5:00 job in some office. For those and many other reasons, I'd choose freelance work anytime.

6. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Personally, I prefer being my own boss.

Some prefer the perceived security of working for an established company, and many often don't want the added headaches and responsibilities of ownership or even just being in charge of things.

I prefer to be in charge and control as much as I possibly can myself. I don't like having some guy in New York City or London telling me how I should do things in my small southern city, for instance. Especially if that bureaucrat has never actually done my job, which is often the case in big companies.

7. shilpa123

shilpa123 Banned

I think it is better to have a corporate job than anything else. Freelance job can be good only if you have consistent work and is quite profitable. But many freelancers these days struggle to find good work. Hence to be on safer side, it is better to be a corporate.

8. My401K

My401K Well-Known Member

I have had the experience of both and I can say without a doubt the corporate life is not the one for me. I regret giving up my business to take a corporate job. No matter which you take you work hard, in a corporate job I think in some ways the work is harder because you have less control in what you can do and when you can do it. Corporate America tries very hard to brainwash you into believing what you are doing is for the good of the world. Some people buy it, and then they are shocked and dismayed when they get downsized right before the holidays.

Right now I am somewhere in the middle, neither freelancer or corporate. Maybe it's a cop out but I find it easier to let someone else mind the company while I take care of me. As they say heavy is the head that wears the crown. I rather do with less and have peace of mind.

9. tournique

tournique Well-Known Member

Well, I prefer the corporate job for the safety also, but i'm just 22. I hope soon I can get the hang of things and can go on my own, i'd love to do things at my own pace and be the boss to myself.

10. shilpa123

shilpa123 Banned

I think it all depends on the position your in your own job. If your at a good position then definitely, you can be good as a freelancer too. But if your struggling quite a lot, then it is better to try out something that you think is quite suitable for you.