Would you have a corporate job or be a freelancer?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by tournique, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

Working for someone gives us a sense of safety and security, but at the same time it takes away our freedom. We have to think wisely, I've seen families and lives collapse due to problems in businesses.

2. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

Personally I'd rather be a freelancer if I had the choice. I think having a usual day to day job can get you stuck in a rut, and freelancing can give you more freedom.

A lot would also depend on your financial situation though, and a lot of people won't have the option.

3. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

The freelancing field is getting a little overcrowded. Instead of choosing to work for a certain company which obviously won't be willing to pay decent fees considering the fact that competition is pretty steep, it's much better to start a business of your own. Create a website which offers writing, web design, etc, services . Market the site and get freelancers register. Then market it some more to get those who wish to have content written for them to notice. And . . . you'll make more money [off the commissions or fees if you please] than you would if you were freelancing.

4. Calamity

Calamity Member

I think I'd still prefer corporate over freelance. I've done freelance, and I still do some freelance on the side. I don't enjoy it as much. There doesn't seem to be as clear levels of progression and similarly it doesn't feel as impactful when you're freelance. Corporate feels far more impactful in terms of your job. As a freelance you don't feel essential. Of course that is my opinion. Bottom line I prefer to feel like I'm doing something meaningful with my time. Freelance doesn't feel like that.