Would you take on a franchise?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by scissorhands, May 18, 2014.

1. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

I'd love to pick up a profitable franchise, I think that if we have the capital to invest and we lack on ideas to create our own business a franchise is the way to go, we can really make money.

2. preyy

preyy Well-Known Member

I'd start my own business, even though I'd most probably not succeed because the competition would be overwhelming, well... the money would be spent wisely, at least.

3. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

What do you mean, you would prefer to start your own business rather than franchise even if your business were not successful?

4. JayeeDolo

JayeeDolo New Member

It's too risky. I don't have the capital. People might not buy my product. I don't know the first thing about running a business. Yes, excuses proliferate. And with the economy the way it's been for the last year, forget about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  5. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

Those are two important things Jayee, risk and capital, without those two we will never make good money.

6. JoshD1990

JoshD1990 Active Member

The best bet is to run your own business. When you are a part of a franchise, there are strict rules that you must follow, in addition to paying royalties. They can put in clauses where if you do not keep up to their standards, they can revoke your franchises and you are screwed. If you are running your own business, only you can screw yourself.

7. WrestlinFan

WrestlinFan Active Member

Nah, I'm not really interested if I don't have 100% creative control.

8. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

That would be the best suggestion to do for yourself. I would not want to own McDonalds either, but I would love getting the free fries every now and then. I would not mind owning Popeye's Chicken all that good chicken.

9. kaitheteen

kaitheteen Member

Franchises are a no no. To me, they are ticking time bombs because of their instability. I would only invest in one as I wouldn't like to be put under that much pressure.

10. Muthoni

Muthoni Guest

Some years back, I would have taken the offer to run the franchise. Now that I work for myself, I wouldn’t change it for the world. I have a sister who resigned from a great job because the satisfaction she thought she would get from the prestigious position was missing. The best jobs are based on passion embraced.