Yahoo Cuts Down Work Force by 15%

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by gracer, Feb 4, 2016.

1. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

Do any of you own Yahoo stocks? How have they been performing lately?

Yahoo's CEO Marissa Mayer announced that they will be cutting down 15% of their work force, that's an estimate of around 9,000 employees as part of their cost cutting for the company to return to profitability. The company has been reported to have lost $4.3 billion for the year and this laying off of employees is an part of Ms. Mayer's aggressive strategic plan to catch on with the competition with Facebook and Google.

Yahoo's stakes were almost sold to the Chinese e-commerce site Alibaba but there has been a change of plan last December because some investors didn't agree to it.

Aside from cutting down on the workforce, the company will also sell Yahoo TV and Yahoo Games so it would be able to focus on the search engine business, email and Tumblr blogging site. As of now, Yahoo shares fell by 1.4% in after hours trading.

Here's a link to the story:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35479175

2. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

Yahoo has been on the way down for quite a while. They have been getting rid of sectors for the past few years and as people don't rely on yahoo mail as they used to, people no longer are loyal. Coupled with the fact the articles and reporting are poor, inaccurate, they don't moderate comments which are full of spam and trolls, it's no wonder Yahoo as a brand is suffering.

3. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

These measures will only get Yahoo some good results for a short time. What happens next time Yahoo isn't making any profits? Cut down the work force once again? In the end I think when they realize they won't "resurrect" the company, it will have to be sold.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I don't think that this will come as too much of a shock to most people as Yahoo have been struggling for a number of years now.

It wouldn't surprise me if sooner rather than later they'll only have their email service left after selling off a lot of their other interests,

5. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

Speaking of email, I used to have an email account under Yahoo years back and it also used to be my default search engine. But as years went by, I found their email service more complicated to use and I don't get satisfied with the results that come out from my searches through their search engine so I decided to switch to Google and Gmail and I've never been more satisfied.

6. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

Would not touch Yahoo with a ten-foot pole, surprised they are even still a going concern.
    I do not know too many people who have used the service in 15 years.
    Actually my grandmother has it as her home-page, and literally she only uses it to search for google.
    I laugh when I am over for a visit she searches "google search" in the yahoo search bar...
    I just let her do her thing, I am just happy she has embraced computer usage at her age.

7. ajaskey

ajaskey Member

If Yahoo went away tomorrow would anyone notice?

8. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

I have a friend that only has a yahoo email account, and our other friend laughed at her. It is seen as outdated, as most people can use other free email services. Yahoo is considered old and unreliable and their reputation has gone down. Even Yahoo groups have more or less died out.

If people give out their email as a yahoo address, it does make you think why are they using yahoo. Sometimes people do judge. Saying that Yahoo deleted a bulk of my emails on an account I hadn't used for a while, so yes, they are unreliable and spam gets through!

9. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

They are not the only company who are cutting their workforce lately. Walmart just announced that they were going to close over a hundred of their stores. It seems like all companies are trying to do more with less people. I think this is going to come back to bite the companies who are involved because the existing employees are going to start getting exhausted and quitting their jobs.

10. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

I've also heard about Walmart from one of the threads of this forum. A lot of people would really get affected by these massive laying off from these companies. This is just the initial step of Yahoo and there could still be more employees to be layed off soon depending on the CEOs decisions in what she calls a strategic plan to save the company.