Yahoo Cuts Down Work Force by 15%

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by gracer, Feb 4, 2016.

1. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm not the only person on earth who wanted them to take the deal microsoft offered them back before the big crash of '08. And I ain't the only one who lost a few bucks when they didn't take the deal.

2. Onionman

Onionman Senior Investor

I guess the "great Yahoo turnaround" is still on hold for the moment...To be fair, it was always going to be a tough ask to suddenly get the company competitive in what is an increasingly difficult macro environment. So many of Yahoo's problems are ingrained and pre-Mayer. But morale is going to be really rock bottom after this swathe of cuts.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

For a big company like Yahoo, it is sad to be cutting down on expenses as to layoff 15% of the workforce. It may be experiencing financial problems now maybe due to lack of focus. For me, Yahoo is still viable is only they would concentrate on where they are best like the yahoo email, they can enhance it to be back as the number 1 like before. And maybe they can sell their other belongings and companies that they had bought before.

4. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

A lot of families will definitely be affected by this recent move from Yahoo. Imagine 9,000 employees being layed off. Yahoo used to be my default search engine and email provider but when I noticed that the services weren't as good as before, I shifted to Google which undeniably improved well with time. I think the problem with Yahoo is complacency when they still ruled the internet world. Now that Google has gone way above them, that's when they realized that they needed to act in order to keep the company running. I still hope though that Yahoo would still recover from its losses and be able to catch up soon with its other competitors.