Young Adults and Politics

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by May102014, Jul 24, 2014.

1. May102014

May102014 Well-Known Member

Do you feel more young adults are becoming cynical about politics? At times, I do feel the younger generation are becoming more dismissive on political issues. Young people are already very cynical about politics but it is due to the fraudulence these political shareholders are involved in. Who can blame them? Politics has earned its bad name. Maybe I am being over dramatic. Please tell me your perspective on this topic.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  2. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

Politics ha earned a bad name, no wonder many youth are so dismissive about it, it just seems as though all they do is lie alot, they never keep it real.

3. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I agree that young people are more disillusioned with politics than they ever were in the past. In the U.S, the blame rests entirely on Obama. He made lots of campaign promises and failed to deliver on them.
    The youth made the mistake of trusting the wrong people, lost their faith in them and well . . . the rest is history. But should most of them not vote in future elections then who can they blame for electing leaders who serve their own interests once they're in office?

4. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

I think the youth already understand that politicians are mostly greedy people and when they do something its against other peoples' feelings. The young people are just not going to trust them they are going to ask questions. Me as a young person I just feel you cannot trust most of these government officials to lead you in the right direction.

5. Moneyinthebank

Moneyinthebank Member

Many of the young adults I know are EXTREMELY politically and socially active. I don't think you have anything to worry about :)

6. babyleans

babyleans Member

I think the youth has been dismissive about politics for a long time. Politics has ALWAYS had a bad name. I think the youth thinks politics is grown-up stuff that they'll get to when they grow up after they're done having fun.

7. straightallies

straightallies Member

I disagree. I know plenty of teens and young adults who are very passionate about politics, myself included. With the rising cost of tuition, lack of jobs, we have to be. I also see more people in my generation joining the fight for social issues such as the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) rights movement, being more involved in feminism and fighting against racism.

To me at least, it has always seemed as if young people are more politically motivated and politically minded in their actions, beliefs, and choices--but this might just be my experience, shaped by my very political group of friends.

8. Muthoni

Muthoni Guest

Most young people do not even bother to wake up to vote for their candidate. They may feel like the political system does not care about the issues affecting them. Teaching them the importance of getting involved in politics is the first step in the right direction.

9. Andre

Andre New Member

I do not believe the word to be used is "cynical". I would instead say young people today are simply more dismissive of political issues, taking the stance of "I don't care what the politicians do because I don't personally feel their policy decisions at the end of the day."

You can make a case that some if not many young people are cynical towards politics, but they are just as cynical as the previous generation.

10. springbreeze

springbreeze Well-Known Member

Seriously Rainman???? You're putting the entire blame on one person, Obama? And thus on one administration of about 6 years??? Wow, that's certainly narrowing it down.

Anyway, I believe it's a mix of cynicism and just not caring. The youth are more interested in enjoying their life than trying to wade through all the bias and lies politics is about today. And for everyone that wants to put all the blame on Obama, please don't forget Bush and his "weapons of mass destruction in Iraq" war. Many people, adults and youth, became disillusioned by the end of that mess. Many Americans were for the war in the beginning. By the end, many of the same ones that were for the war were now shouting to bring home the troops.