Young Adults and Politics

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by May102014, Jul 24, 2014.

1. wulfman

wulfman Guest

Young people are becoming much more liberal than previous generations (ie their parents). It has been said that a lot of young people are averse to raising a family because they don't have any optimism for the future.

2. komodo

komodo Member

I also know a lot of teens and young adults who are politically active and very well-informed. However, I still agree that the vast majority of young people these days don't want to think too much about politics, and don't want to get involved. Perhaps the fact that information is so freely available via social media etc is actually contributing to this apathy. Maybe because people are more aware these days of the fact that politician lie and the media itself often misrepresents the situation (as has always been the case), they're switching off so to speak.

3. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

Most young people seem to be pretty clueless and ignorant when it comes to political and Constitutional issues. I guess I can't blame them considering the awful educational system that we have in this country. With a more informed populace and a better education system I think more young people would be able to make more informed decisions on who and what they are voting for.

4. Investor

Investor Well-Known Member

Most young people do not enjoy politics. They see politics as a complex issue, distant from their lives; not affecting them. Whatever does not affect young people directly, they generally do not take issue with, but, that's how the human intellect works at times, it is more retrospective then progressive. Another issue is the misinformation given to young people by the elderly, in an effort to win numbers. And so, you may find that young people will support a not-so-good cause in the name of "loyalty" to a certain political person or group. I would like to end by saving that politics, I believe, is an honorable profession, and only the transparent person ought to be allow to remain in such and enjoy a successful political career.

5. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Well-Known Member

It depends, usually young people tend to have a different opinion and interest about politics in comparison to adults, but also there are young people really interested in politics, I have met just a few of them and I thought that they will be the typical teenager with anarchist ideals but their opinions were actually really mature and informated. And there are some adults that doesn't know too much about the topic and they work with politics! So it depends.

6. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

The young people in my family and their friends seem to have a great interest in politics and what is going on around them. They always vote and help out during the campaigns. They enjoy talking politics and some of them even plan to run in a future election. So my experience has been that the young people today are more politically involved then people in my generation were.

7. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Well it is not just the young that are dismissive about politics. Older people by and large are dismissive of politics as well. They may vote but their overall attitude toward politics and politicians in general is terrible, but yet can you really blame them? I mean what has your congressman done for you lately? The whole political process in this country needs a complete overhaul.

8. norms options

norms options Well-Known Member

Dismissive is the word that best describes the attitude of young adults toward politics. I think that the main reason they display this attitude is because of the options that we are left with during election times. I feel that we no longer have a candidate to vote for, and for those of us that do vote, it ends up being for the least worst option because it is so difficult to find a good candidate. As long as it continues in this direction, I think we will continue to see future generations being less interested in politics all together.

9. norms options

norms options Well-Known Member

The only way I can respond to this comment is that I agree so completely that I could have written it just as it is myself. The political system in this country has become so corrupt and immoral that it has become exactly what the constitution was originally intended to prevent. We have no representatives anymore as citizens. All we have now are career politicians who are only concerned with voting however the special interest group paying them the most would ask them to.

10. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Never underestimate the power of social media. Something could happen that could change the attitudes of young people overnight. They may not be all that interested in politics but they can turn out in droves to vote. Politicians shouldn't ignore young people because in 2016, again, it could be the young people whose voters will matter most. Should they choose Hillary she'll win. Should they decide to support a Republican candidate, he'll win. Without the backing of young voters Obama wouldn't be CIC.