Young Woman Caught Using Grandmother's Disabled Parking Badge Was Using It In Her Honor

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

A young woman caught using her dead grandmother's Disabled Parking Permit told investigators that she was using it in her grandmother's honor. Initially when she was questioned she'd lied, said that her grandmother was shopping nearby.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/26/shopp...urce=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link
    Her crime will cost her $1555 [in fines, costs and other fees]. Too late for her to weep now . . .

2. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I don't think anyone who reads this story can come to any conclusion other than she's looking for an excuse to get away with being caught.

While I'm sure that we've all done things in the past we've tried to get away with, I'd have assumed we'd at least come up with a story that's half believable.

3. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

LOL! "In her honor". mhmm. That is a pretty hefty fine.

4. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

The fine was 750 pounds, someone driving a mini cooper can afford that. Probably with more ease that someone with a disability can walked from the far end of a parking lot because an entitled bi-otch is taking the disabled parking space. Pretending your dead grandmother is in the shop is just making it even worse.

I don't believe in confronting apparent carpark cheats because they may have an invisible disability, but I do appreciate it when these laws are enforced. Yes, parking is expensive--but it's a fact of life.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  5. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

Blue badges as they care called have very specific rules and you cannot use them unless you are a carer and the disabled person is with you. My father has one and you do have to prove your status and they do clamp down on misuse. Clearly she knew what she was doing and with so much CCTV she could have been fined more for fraud.

6. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

No unique story here. She got what she deserved. Good. Children who lose parents and widows/widowers who lose their spouse continue to use the deceased's handicap hang tag, sometimes for years, and are subject to hefty fines in the US. In the states I am familiar with, municipal court appearences are required. Some municipalties routinely patrol large shopping centers, fattening coffers. The owner addtionally must carry a card, similar to a vehicle registration card. Heretofore, hang tags had no expiration date. As an attempt to cut down on the abuse, nationwide, handicap hang tags now have clearly visible expiration dates (typically two years). The applicant must have the application completed and signed by his/her physician. Now, can the system be scammed? Absolutely. But the recent changes at least begin to make an attempt to address the abuse.

7. Takii

Takii Member

I actually think its funny myself. I travel a lot and everywhere I go I see these perfectly good parking spaces going to waste because all the good ones are reserved for disabled people who never seem to be using them. They are always empty.

The worst one is the local Walmart. They literally have forty to fifty of these prime parking spots reserved for the handicapped and I've never seen more than 3-4 of them being used by someone with the traditional blue sticker used by the disabled here.

I mean the whole parking lot can be overflowing with customers and all those empty parking spaces just sit there not being able to be used.

Kind of a waste in my opinion.

8. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

The good ones are you call them are still hard work for people with disabilities. My father needs a walking stick, and if he couldn't park near the entrance he would hold up traffic walking slowly across the parking lot. They exist to help people be more independent, but people do abuse the system. Often disabled spaces are limited, and do get used up quickly. People actually pay for the blue badges now, and the application forms are 16 pages long, so it's not a quick and easy way to get free parking.

9. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

I can't tell if you are serious or just trying to stir controversy. Pfft. In either case, your statements are pathetic. Some people really need consideration and help.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

After that comment, wouldn't it be ironic if by the time you get older and might need a disabled parking space, they might have taken on your idea and done away with them.

I wonder if it would still be funny for you if you had to park at the opposite end of the car park and then you struggle to get to the store?