Your Attitude in Life

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rosyrain, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

Do you feel that your attitude and outlook on life can meet or break your success or what you accomplish in your life? The other day I was thinking of visionary people like Steve Jobs and Warren Buffet and I do not think they ever had the thought that something they wanted could not be done; they just had to figure out a way to make it happen.

People sometimes call me a dreamer in that I come up with these outlandish ideas that I will not be able to accomplish. I want to go to Hawaii and buy a house in the next few years, and they just ask how I will ever come up with the money to do it. My answer is simple, I will just find a way to earn the money to do these things.

It just frustrates me how many people come up with reasons why things can't be done instead of analyzing and figuring out ways to get things done.

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, attitude is important.

It's great to have confidence and belief in oneself.

But it's also important to have humility, a sense of realism, and to be prepared for the worst. Many things are beyond our control. You don't want to leave yourself too vulnerable or without other options when life throws a curve your way - expect the unexpected, because it will happen on occasion. Investing in the stock market and starting your own business are perfect examples.

Hard work, vision, and careful planning work well. Learning from past experiences of yours and others is important.

Many talk about the 80/20 rule - life being 80% or so what you do, and 20% or so how you react to what happens to you.

3. rightct

rightct Well-Known Member

I don't have much confidence in myself most of the time because I feel like I'm just wasting time doing nonsensical things that don't conclude any kind of fruition whatsoever, but in the same time span I feel that I have the potential of achieving what I propose to myself, though I'm still waiting for that to appear (which is yet to do so, haha).

All over all, attitude is important. I'm live proof, haha.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

Having a positive outlook on life can open up more opportunities for people than if you go through life with a glass half empty approach.

I often find that the more successful people are the ones that aren't afraid to do what's needed and aren't shy of taking chances. Being positive and confident usually go hand in hand with success.

5. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

I am also a totally positive person, I tend to see the bright side of life and not the negative one. MY wife is the exact opposite, she worries about many things and that really consumes her.

6. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

Attitude is definitely everything. If you have a negative outlook on life and you don't believe anything is possible then you are setting yourself up for failure. If you think you can't do it, then chances are you won't do it. If you never try or if you don't reach beyond your comfort zone then you never really know what you are truly capable of.

On the other hand, if you believe in your yourself and you believe you can do anything you set your mind to then you will succeed. If you never give up and you just keep trying then you will have success. If you are a positive person and you always look for the positives in life then there is no limit to the levels you can achieve.

I truly believe your attitude about life definitely determines how far you will go in life.

7. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I try to be a realist. I've always been a dreamer and a big thinker, but I have learned that being realistic and trying to see things as clearly and accurately as possible can actually be very beneficial in things like business, investing, relationships, etc.

8. Yosh

Yosh Well-Known Member

I've often found that the more confident you portray yourself to be, the more confident you can become, especially in a new environment. Just don't overdo it.
    Recently I've moved to a new country. I knew nobody here. I used to be seen as very nervous person, but I tried my best to change that, and moving gave me that opportunity. So far it's worked. I'm a lot more respected in my field of work and it seems that many of my colleagues take my word on a higher status than many of the people who've worked here longer than I have. It's not fair on them, but for the time being, it's really boosted my own confidence and even has me in the good books with my boss.

9. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

When I graduated from college, self-confidence was my shortcoming because I still couldn't come to terms that I would be getting a job. What do I know about work when all I know was about school? But after the (series of) first interviews, I slowly got the hang of it. And I developed a belief in myself that I could learn what those employees in offices were doing. So when I finally was admitted to the car dealer's warehouse to work in the custodian of accessories section, I had the direction to learn and learn whatever they know. That gave me further self confidence.

10. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

I am like this as well. I try to see reality as it is. This doesn't mean I don't have dream, I do have them, but at the same time if I can't achieve them I might as well enjoy what's within my reach.