Your opinions on welfare

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rosyrain, Sep 27, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

Well I'm also from the UK as you can probably tell from my last comment on here, and having children is definitely becoming a career choice for some people. We seem to be waking up to headlines of how a woman with 8 children from 8 different fathers receives 50k a year in benefits, aswell as a free 5 bedroomed house as managed to screw the system for so long. The thing is, if these rules are set, then legally she's doing nothing wrong and she's entitled to what she claims.

I don't agree with it but until the rules are changed then it is what it is.

What isn't helping the genuine claimants is that recently we have had a spate of reality TV shows, benefits Britain, life on the dole, that kind of thing that are portraying EVERYBODY who is on benefits as scroungers and that's simply not the case at all. All these shows are doing is creating a divide, and pigeonholing people in to a class, when, even though I don't believe a word the government says, aren't we supposedly working towards a classless society?

2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

It is sad to say that it does actually happen and I have actually heard mother's brag about it in the past. You get X amount of benefits for each kid that you have, and some will have many kids just to get all of the benefits they can to live a comfortable life. I can not even fathom the thought myself, but it is a reality.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

I have noticed that too - people on welfare are the one with loud voices when complaining. Have you gone to a hospital's charity ward? There you will experience arrogance that you have not imagined. People confined for free courtesy of the hospital and the government still have the gall to complain about poor facilities like broken electric fans. My sister works in a government hospital and she always tells me about those ingrates.

4. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

Usually welfare is the result of the taxes we do pay, so we should receive a dignifying amount that allows us to live, that's how I see it.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

That's why a lot of people don't agree with how the benefit system works in the UK. A person can come here, claim asylum and we HAVE to accept them until their claim is looked at. Sometimes that can take months, and while they are waiting g we have to provide them with a home to stay in, plus the same benefits others are entitled to.

So for me, who's been paying into the system for 22 years will get the same welfare as somebody who as just stepped off a plane. How does that work?

Shouldn't it be that you can only take out of the pot, if you put in, in the first place?

6. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I remember many years ago working for loan companies and having to go to a few people's homes and jobs here and there to collect money owed. It wasn't unusual to go to a very shoddy home in a bad area with a nice new car in the driveway, a houseful of small children running around with dirty diapers or nothing on, a dirty house with almost no furniture, and a brand new giant screen tv and large stereo in the nearly empty living room.

Priorities and choices sometimes do matter.

7. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

Anyone supported by welfare who his a nice new car got it by stealing it. At my lowest income I earned more than that, was single with no dependents, and had to sell my blood to keep my $1000 dollar lemon car in working order.

8. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

I'm on the fence here some people really do need the welfare money and so far it's worked for the people. We pay taxes for this reason-- we don't want to see others suffer, we're equalizing the distribution of wealth through taxes and state-controlled welfare. It's great in theory but in real life situations it can definitely be abused so the state has to keep guard on who it's supporting.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

The welfare system is easily abused but not by people breaking the rules. They just make their own circumstances fit the rules that are in place.

If the government says you will get more welfare the more children you have, then people will just simply have more children.

10. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

If there is abuse and we all know there is, it's because the system allows it. If more people were controlling who really needs welfare those situations would not happen.