Your opinions on welfare

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rosyrain, Sep 27, 2015.

1. JessieJ

JessieJ Guest

Welfare is a great thing. People should be nothing but appreciative that they are actually receiving something rather then nothing.

2. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

People who are on welfare should be grateful and appreciate every bit of help they get. Where would they be without it? It may not be a lot but it is better then having nothing at all which would be the case of welfare wasn't there. If you are able to work then you should be working and paying your own way but if you are unable to for whatever reason then that is what welfare is in place for. Around here it is not uncommon to see generations of family living on the system. Some of them don't even bother looking for work or trying to better themselves they are content just living off welfare.

3. Jason76

Jason76 Well-Known Member

I don't mind the government giving out welfare as long as it's tied to responsibility. In fact, some welfare programs need to be expanded like "free community college education". No, of course I don't agree that women should use babies as a method to gain money. Nonetheless, we can't totally phase out aid to mothers and children quickly, as it would be damaging to society.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

There are people out there that do genuinely need welfare for one reason or another often not of their own making.

To give welfare to one and not to another is something that needs to be looked at, aslong as its done fairly.

5. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

It would be nice if the next president, along with Congress can really take steps to fix and alter the welfare system. Realistically, welfare isn't going to be completely abolished. But the amount of abuse that goes on is pretty ridiculous. I've seen it with my own eyes. Steps definitely need to be taken to insure the people who truly need help are taken care of, while those that are just being lazy are booted off of it.

6. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

They definitely should be happy with what they're getting. It helps out a lot, especially if they use coupons as well to make the money stretch for longer. Some people only get $50-$100 and that's not that much when it comes to groceries. But I think it helps a lot. I'm upset that the system is set up this way in the first place that people even have to ask or assistance from their government. It's just a way for them to make us dependent on them. Wages should be higher and rent should be lower. People never get anywhere. And that's how the powers that be like it.

7. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

Welfare for should be for citizens that have fallen on hard times and not for immigrants and migrants. There should be separate systems for these people because they don't pay taxes and could come from money put aside for foreign aid.

Sadly people do take advantage of the system, and then there are some who are too proud to use the system and suffer. I feel there should be more done to help those on welfare to get a job or more education. Those on welfare have to pay tax on their income support which seems ridiculous. I do think some cuts should be made, because in the UK it's about tax credits to help those in work. I just can't see why those in work would need extra help, employers should pay a decent wage.Most of the examples given are single parents, and not those who are widowed but who chose to have a child alone or left the partner. It's not the state's duty to pay for a child you chose to have.

8. AnDaughtery

AnDaughtery Guest

I believe there are people who truly need this but at the same time there are people who completely take advantage and abuse this system! I just think they need to fix it and get stricter on the rules. I believe drug testing should be a requirement and instead of just putting in applications you should be able to prove your getting interviews or at least doing call backs. I know of personally to many people who take advantage of this system by saying they have more people living with them than they actually do. They should do random home checks. Maybe I'm being ridiculous, I suppose my opinion is jaded, I've just seen to much to feel otherwise.

9. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

Time and time again this non-sense about drug testing for social benefits comes up, I take it as a personal mission to refute it at every step.
    Every, and I mean every single jurisdiction that has tried this out has discovered that it is a total failure. It ends up costing taxpayers more then the current system. IT alienates people who need help the most. I turns people to crime, it has ZERO net social benefit.

10. anders

anders Well-Known Member

I am thankful every day for the NHS here in England. I'm not necessarily that keen on certain welfare schemes which seem to be fairly pointless and a waste of money, but knowing that I can fall ill and not have the additional worry of how I am going to afford the healthcare to treat me is something I am really grateful for.

The problem with the welfare debate is that once you say you're in favor of one state benefit, people assume you're in favor. That just isn't true.