Your Thoughts On Helping The Poor?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Rainman, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Most religions encourage people to help the poor but this should be something that goes far beyond religious affiliations or the lack of it. Researchers have in the past tried to find out whether religious people are more or less generous than atheists and though the data was manipulated to prove that atheists are more generous, fact is religious people are more likely to help a poor person because they expect some reward for what they do.

Question: do you think helping the poor is a moral obligation? Whether you are religious or not, if you can you should help the poor/less fortunate?

2. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

Yes of course helping the poor is vital! Jeez we help each other with no judgement then why not the less fortunate? It's everyone's moral obligation regardless of religion, race or class. Regardless if you're rewarded or not because it's just the right thing to do. For goodness sake go out and help someone even if they're not necessarily poor.

3. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

Helping those less fortunate should not even be a religious issue, it should be something everyone at least thinks about.

While in the grander picture the single person cannot do much, closer to home however, a lot can be done especially closer to Christmas. For example buying a box of biscuits for an older person, helping someone load their car with their shopping, all this sort of stuff can really help to make someone's day.

4. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

People don't need to be religious to help the poor, but most religions do help the poor. Some however don't seem to be as charitable as they ought to be. I recall a church in California had sprinklers set to stop the homeless from sleeping outside. There was outcry at their behavior and the council told them to remove them, but for drought reasons.

People should help the poor if they are able to, but also because they want to rather than because it eases their conscience.

5. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

Life isn't fair. So much in life is actually luck. Yes hard work and discipline also play a role.
    But so many of us are just plain lucky, I know I sure am. Just being born in Canada means I am luckier then 99% of the poor souls born on this planet.
    I think it's important for the fortunate to help the less fortunate.

6. manoharb

manoharb Senior Investor

Help poor, but only check before, what are his habits. Find it first, he will use that for improvisation, innovation, education etc. in Short, He will use that for Good purpose or not. about beggars, who begs money and comes back on door, again and again. give them jobs,if refused, kill them first, before helping poor.Inside dead animals good for, to make another's life hell.

I am talking about economies, don't take it personally. personally, we must respect constitution,law and order.

7. manoharb

manoharb Senior Investor

Helping Poor is also part of investment and before helping, we must check, our investment will give us good returns in future. dead investment is only waste of time, energy etc.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I think most people are willing to help those less fortunate than they are, but the trouble these days us that there are becoming more and more of them.

Homelessness and poverty are on the rise, and should it really be up to the people to help, when a lot of the politicians and celebrities are turning a blind eye and continuing to live like kings?

9. anders

anders Well-Known Member

I think that the Marxist maxim "from each according to his ability, to each according to his need" is a good rule of thumb here.

I should add that I'm not a Marxist per se, but I don't see anything wrong in appropriating something if it works.

10. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

I believe that if you're in a position to help and you feel like doing so, then you should. But it depends on what type of help you can offer them, as well. I'm wary of simply giving people money; I'd much rather buy them food. But even greater than that, it would be more valuable to teach the poor skills they can use to get out of their situation. But that requires time and energy that most people simply do not have.