Your Thoughts On Helping The Poor?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Rainman, Dec 11, 2015.

1. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

I don't think anyone has any obligation to help the poor. It's not... well I just don't see why we would NEED to do it.
    Now if someone wants to do it then by all means, go ahead. Just make sure you really are helping someone who needs it instead of giving money to charities who pay top dollar for their CEOs or those beggars who actually live in a nice house and have a nice car but they just put on crappy clothes to get more money.

2. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

It is very cruel in the way life deals your cards sometimes and the sad fact about it is a lot of people who fall of bad times don't really have a say in it and can't control it.
    I've always lived my life by the phrase "treat others how you wish to be treated" and I reckon a lot of people should live like this. I also think it's a very good idea to look on the optimistic side of things.

If life is beating you down for instance, consider it like a military operation. You're withdrawing to a more favourable position so that you can build up again to mount a counter-attack.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

As a Catholic, I was born and raised in the orientation to help others - whether poor or not. When I was young, I always give alms to the beggars and the poor was always on my mind. However, as I grew up, I realized that most of the poor became poor because of themselves and not really because of faith. I have seen students who don't attend classes and indulging in vices like drinking and gambling while they were young. And when they get married, they had no education so they cannot even feed their family. So why would I help those kind of poor people?

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

But as a Catholic aren't you also brought up to not judge people either? Just because these people go out and partake in vices, you don't know the full story or why they are doing this in the first place.

You could also argue that these are the people that need the most help.

5. manoharb

manoharb Senior Investor

Personally, I think, to help anybody, you don't need to be fortunate . Your dedication and Good Karmas always pay back. My Father's friend, since childhood, I saw him. He was well educated, but he liked to work as social worker. 28 years ago,when he started social work. his brothers, sisters, even parents teased him.' you are good for nothing'. he continued his work with dedication. living in small house, his wife always supported him and stood behind him like rock. now 3 years ago, he solved real estate problem of 4500 unfortunate poor citizens and farmers, those 4500 unfortunate citizens said, sir, you solved our problem. now, we want to do proper use of our property and we can't trust anybody except you. so, you start construction. he said, I'm social worker, not builder. but, that, 4500 citizens said, we insist. he accepted their request and started construction. Today,he is rich, his brothers, sisters etc. feel shame to stood in front of him. because, 28 years ago, his brothers, sisters even they were fortunate, but because of nature, today they are unfortunate.

so, I think, dedication for good purpose is more important than fortunate or less fortunate.

6. evelin

evelin Well-Known Member

I don't personally reckon helping those in need should be correlated with religion, first of all. It should be an ardent, intrinsic need. But unfortunately, this is not how it works and am very aware of that. :(

Nevertheless, where I live, those in need are really outweighed by the corrupt ones, who have got a lot of money in their personal vault, but still want to muster more and more money by feigning they pertain to the "left aside" ones... how shameful!

7. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

There's a lot of that going on everywhere and it's for this reason that I don't donate to the charities appealing for third-world nations because I know the money will not be going to the people at all, it instead goes to their governments and military while the people who really need it only see a small portion of it at best.

It's pretty disgusting really.

8. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I believe that if you able or should help the less fortunate. You never know when you may find yourself to their position and need help. I don't think it is a religious thing even though churches do help a lot of people. There are many groups out there who help the poor.

9. jfrack

jfrack Guest

I believe helping the poor is a moral obligation. But also to go beyond just donating to charity, maybe buying someone you see on the street some food, or maybe just even giving them a smile or just talk to them. I think we are obligated morally because the poor are people to who deserve respect and the chance at having a decent life. Keep in mind many of the poor are their because they have befallen bad circumstances, and that many of them (In America at least) are veterans.

10. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

I think it's always good to help the poor. A lot of people say we don't know what they're going to spend the money on, which is true, but it's still the gesture that counts. It's also better to serve them a hot meal and water as well than to just give money.