Your Thoughts On Mandatory Voting?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Rainman, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

That is a whole lot of work, but forcing people to vote is kind of not cool, but if they feel it will make a difference, let them go for it, though I think it will make no difference at all, because those being forced to vote will just go and guess their votes compare to someone who really wnte to vote and has someone in mind.

2. May102014

May102014 Well-Known Member

The idea of mandatory voting will never come to fruition at all. It was merely a thought being floated around but nothing remotely concrete for serious consideration. Mandatory voting would interfere with American principle of having a freedom of choice if you force people to do something and then charge them a fine if they choose not to complete the action. I know in other countries voting is mandatory but that is a concept no one has to worry about here in America.

3. queenbellevue

queenbellevue Well-Known Member

How would it even be enforced anyway? Are the cops going to come to everyone's houses and drag them to the voting booths? It works in Australia because people see it as a civic duty and that's that. Americans are so used to having freedom when it comes to this that they'll not vote just to voice their dismay

4. wahmed

wahmed Well-Known Member

I'm sure voting is the right to express your rights and choices? It is your right and choice not to vote. If you are forced to people will just put in a blank ballor

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Yeah that is also what I thought of. You can have mandatory voting and it's easy to control if you have voted or not. But I don't think there would be any way to confirm that you actually cast your vote to any of the contenders without braking the right to vote without anyone knowing who you voted for.

6. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

Voting cannot be mandatory because like a say it's a right we have, so we cannot be forced to do it, we should vote in conscience and not because we have to.

7. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

I really don't think voting should be mandatory in any case, in it is, how can the results be accurate in any way, people will just put in what they want in the ballot, voting for Mickey Mouse and the like, might as well let people stay home.
    How do they punish not voting in Australia?

8. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

I think it's an awful idea. This is supposed to be the land of the free. Now we have the government requiring more and more things with each passing day. Not what this country was built on. In addition to that, we have too many uninformed people voting already. I can only imagine who could get elected if more idiots decide to force their views on the rest of us. It's bad enough as it is.

9. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Also a good point. Those who don't vote obviously don't care. So force them to go there and 95% of them will just pick a random number.

10. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like obamacare and lots of other things that were "floated around" in the last 6 years.