Your Thoughts On Mandatory Voting?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Rainman, Mar 21, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

In my country we still practice optional voting. I myself don't vote if I don't have a good candidate in mind. I see no sense in voting if no one among the candidates to choose from deserves my valuable vote. If there's really no one to choose from then you'll just end up voting for the wrong person just because you have to vote. I say no to mandatory voting.

2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

If we did that then that would really throw the ballots off. Reason being people who don't care or follow politics will vote for anyone. If their last name had a nice ring to it, they would vote for that person. There would be so much uneducated guessing ballots. the green party might have a chance of winning if that came true.

3. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Well-Known Member

I don't think that this is the best way to make people vote, because if somebody does not want to do it then they shouldn't do it! I think it may be annoying for a lot of people who don't consider to vote every 4 years, and it can be a little problematic too because there is a lot of people who just don't want to do it for a lot of reasons and they are being forced, I don't think this would be the best alternative to make people to vote...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  4. rightct

rightct Well-Known Member

I personally think it's a huge pile of bullshit. If we don't trust anyone who's a candidate, then why force us vote for someone who doesn't represent my personal interests? Say I'm a communist partisan, but only democrats and liberals are candidates. Why should I vote for them if they don't share my views?

5. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

Although I think it is very important to exercise your right to vote, I don't feel that they should make it mandatory for you to do so. Doing that would be taking away our freedom to choose what we want to do. It would never happen though because there would be no possible way they could keep track of those who voted and those who didn't. It would be a very costly thing to do.

6. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Non-issue. It's called the Constitution. Obama might dream, but not he or his czars or his minions, could rewrite the document before he leaves office.

7. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

It's probably the same reason why ya'll were not outraged by the conduct of his predecessor, which from the perspective of the international community was far worst. I'll chalk it up to political apathy.

8. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

You're from Canada, your opinion of what goes on in the US doesn't really matter. I don't really care about what happens up there as long as you guys don't bother us and don't ask for our help. But you foreigners are so obsessed with trying to tell us how to run our business.

On Iraq, I've told you and others here repeatedly that I thought Iraq was a mistake in hindsight - a subject you CONSTANTLY bring up every chance you get. Time to change your tune - that Iraq trolling is getting a little stale.

I don't know what you're talking about by assuming I'm "politically apathetic" - you're just talking out of your ass. I constantly criticize the Republican establishment, which you'd know if you paid attention.

9. petesede

petesede Guest

I would like a link from a credible news article as to where Obama talked about this? This is just typical Obama bashing. You say he talked about something he probably never talked about, then you go in circles bashing him for an imaginary comment without ever stopping to actually make sure the comment was actually made. You see this all the time on social media.... the crazy-right gets themselves all in a lather over some ´quote´ that gets passed around, and none of them have enough intelligence to even check to see if it was really said.

Abraham Lincoln once said ´don´t believe everything you read on Facebook´..

back to the original topic. Congress or a sitting President would never push for this type of thing. The reason being is that the people who currently do not vote are MUCH more likely to be dissatisfied people who would vote against all incumbents.

But Obama never said anything like this.. more than likely what he said was ´I wish every American would vote´.. and some KKK member right away made some meme on facebook that said ´Obama wants to take away your constitutional rights and force you to vote for him´.. It is really the same as a lot of the 2nd amendment stuff gets fabricated on social media while Obama actually says very little about the 2nd or about gun ownership overall.. yet every day on Facebook, some new quote is getting thrown around.

Fox News....

10. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

Hey JR I wasn't specially referring to that but if it keeps being brought up I can see why you are peeved.

I also wasn't trying to tell you how to run anything, just my pondering on the subject. Often American's get upset if any non American has an opinion on an American issue. I see this as a little strange. I like talking to people about ideas, I like to see how different systems work. I want to hear others opinions on various subjects, doesn't mean I will agree and doesn't mean I have to accept it as correct either. Some opinions are flat out wrong, and need to be refuted. It's up to the listener to decide what matters to them, I will be able to tell if my opinion matters to you by the way you respond to it. That's how talking to an international diverse set of people on important subjects go. I care about what happens all over the world, especially in the places that neighbor mine, we have to interact and work together all the time.

Anyways.

I was saying BOTH presidents have policies that should cause people to be outraged, but you don't see it because of a general apathy towards politics in the population. This isn't a statement that even targets America, this is a global problem. Voter turnout is at an all time low in almost every country. I'm in a similar boat politically, as I have supported our conservative party over it's last two terms in office, but don't necessarily agree with all of the policies. BUT it's sort of the best of the worst situation.