Your Thoughts On Speaking In Tongues

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Rainman, Sep 3, 2015.

1. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

Maybe this is just some Pentecostal propaganda, who knows? I myself have not seen this in other people nor have I experienced it so I'm very doubtful. Also, speaking in tounges can also refer to having dyxslexia or that person could just be a very good opera singer-- it's technically still the same description wise.

2. mooray

mooray Well-Known Member

I don't think it is speaking in tongues. I think it is is making incomprehensible noise that they do not understand themselves.

3. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I agree. Biblical tongues were real languages. People visiting Jerusalem at the time the disciples were filled with the Holy Spirit heard them [the disciples who knew no foreign languages] speak in their [the tourist's] native languages. So when someone speaks some language no one on earth can understand then that language probably isn't a real language. I have no doubt though that there are a few pious people who do speak in tongues.

4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I do not think this makes you a more holy person, just that you are able to talk fast gibberish. I really never understood the point behind speaking in tounges to begin with. How about just saying what you feel in a way that people can understand you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. missbishi

missbishi Well-Known Member

Maybe these people want to believe that they are filled with the Holy Sprit and that desire triggers this odd behaviour. They already know what speaking in tongues is supposed to sound like so they know what they are meant to do, so they do it, in an attempt to convince themselves. @Rosyrain, your comment made me laugh! Fast gibberish indeed!

6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

The people that claim to speak in tongues are usually TV evangelist that are out to get your money. These people are nuts and you should stop watching them immediately. These people are crazy and they have gone so far as babbling to get your money and attention.

7. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

This is how my church minister interpreted this misconstrued topic... there is speaking in tongues but the actual speaking in tongues is like a dutch guy speaking Russian and he has never spoken the language before, neither has knowledge of the dialect but does so fluently...actually speaking in that language but expressing God's will and yet we have to understand that an interpreter ought to be nearby otherwise the whole experience will be of no use to those who can't understand...then again the Holy Spirit is very sensitive...you might think you have HIM with you but HE departed a long time ago.

8. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

People have to follow the biblical guidelines put in place for speaking in tongues. It can be done, and it's a spiritual gift that God gives to some believers. But a lot of what goes on with churches and speaking in tongues is all for entertainment and lifting people up in their emotion. It's not real.

9. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I attended the Pentecostal church for many years and I have experienced people speaking in other tongues. It seemed to happen when they were worshipping God and preaching. They would all of a sudden just start talking this other language. I always found it to be a bit bizarre. I never had it happen to me though.

10. evelin

evelin Well-Known Member

Don't have much to say on this aspect either, but if those priests want to consider it an inherent virtue, then let them have it!