Your Thoughts On The Dog Eating Festival?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Every year, to mark the summer solstice thousands of dogs are killed and eaten in China. Most of the dogs slaughtered are people's stolen pets. Animal rights groups called for an end to the festival but there are others who think the activists are hypocrites. Americans eat millions of Turkeys each thanksgiving, they contend, why haven't the activists and those who are against the eating of dogs done something about Turkey-eating on thanksgiving?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-33220235

Your thoughts?

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

This is a tough one. Dogs are easily my favourite animals and I certainly don't see how people can treat them this way.
    Then again, cow's are sacred to Hindus but they are pretty much just locked up in "factories" here for their meat or milk. And as you mentioned it, there are other holidays around the world that include eating millions of animals.

So while I don't approve of this dog eating thing, I certainly don't see what the huge media attention is about. It's normal for the Chinese, they have eaten dog meat for centuries.

3. missbishi

missbishi Well-Known Member

At first, it seems abhorrent. When you think about it though, all groups of people eat foods which others think are disgusting. I eat pork and there are certain groups in society who would be repulsed by that.

It's just different cultures, that's all. Live and let live.

4. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

I guess it all boils down to cultural differences. Some people eat dogs where I live but I never tried it though. I never considered dogs as something I would eat. If something which is considered wrong or taboo is being done in one culture, I guess it's just a matter of respecting each other's culture.

5. rightct

rightct Well-Known Member

THIS!!! I've waited so much time for someone to state this utter hypocrisy that humanity calls "affinity for dogs". We've slaughtered probably billions of cows, pigs, goats etc. that we don't give this much affection to, but whenever animals that reside within humans, such as dogs or cats, are being slaughtered for food which, by the aforementioned analogy should be considered as ethical, the media just tries to blame a tradition. How pitiful, really...

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

For a lot of people, including myself, it's an outrage that this can be allowed to continue in this day and age and it needs to be stopped.

Unfortunately, in China it's part of their culture and tradition so who are we in the west to judge what they can and can't do?

I don't think there's a lot that can be done about it, and while we know it does go on, it's something that doesn't affect us or our country so I think with things like this it's best to turn a blind eye and not get too worked up about it.

Even though that doesn't sit very well with me even saying that to be honest.

7. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

Like you say, it's a part of their tradition. Like to many is repulsive to eat snails, the French see it as escargots or even the frog legs. So it doesn't shock me, but I would not eat it.

8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

Turkeys are animals that's why. Hahahahaha... Sounds stupid right? They should be called Certain Animal Rights Activists. I'm sure if dog were eaten on the original Thanksgiving dinner, it wouldn't of been an issue. Has anyone heard of these guys getting together to oppose the unethical treatment of sewer rats? I didn't think so.

9. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

Precisely what I was saying, it's a matter of habit, traditions. In China is not an issue, but for us it's strange. It bothers me more that they have baskets filled with several bugs that they eat.

10. Yosh

Yosh Well-Known Member

Personally I think it's horrible. It's such a barbaric and cruel thing. They have a belief that the meat tastes better if the animals are in a lot of pain before they die. It's disgusting.