Your Thoughts On The Dog Eating Festival?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

Where do you get that idea from Yosh? They have the idea that the meat tastes better if the animals are in a lot of pain?

2. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

Emotionally I understand they disgust, and I certainly feel it is terrible when traders steal pet dogs to meet the demand. I would not be able to look at dogs being slaughtered or eat dog meat.

But if you assume the animal is not someone's pet I do not think there is a rational argument to be made that dogs are any more deserving or life than pigs or cows. They are all sentient and sensitive animals who enjoy being alive.

3. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

A weird world is what it is, still, one man's meat is another man's poison...in that case my poison, while I recoil in disgust.... but I bet a Chinese man might recoil at the type of meat I indulge in..I say, to each his/her own!

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

China's Yulin event - the dog meat eating festival - had received a lot of flak in social media. That goes to show that dog lovers are now everywhere and we should start treating dogs with respect. I am also a dog lover and we treat our dogs as part of the family so I was aghast in reading about that Yulin festival. On the other hand, I understand that it is a tradition that they want to perpetuate. By the way, there is a place here, northern part of the Philippines, that dog meat is taken as a delicacy and served for special occasions only.

5. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

That's terrible.
    Eat what you want, I can't tell people what to eat.
    But you say they are "people's stolen pets" and THAT is the terrible part.
    You want to eat a dog? Fine, but don't steal it!

6. Olga

Olga Member

If you have this festival - fine. But what about the way of performing it in public?
    1. Many of dogs were just stolen
    2. The way of preparation is cruel. They're just grilling dogs when those are conscious.
    So, if you want to have that meat, why not to kill them at least without this horrible pain.
    Or another question will come out then:
    The preparation process is also a part of that cult?
    Than its more reminding rituals of some satanic group rather than traditional festival.

7. Thejamal

Thejamal Guest

This. It depends where you grow up. I imagine most of us here are from the U.S. and eating dog is absolutely disgusting to us. But if you don't grow up in our culture, then your beliefs and cultural norms would be different. Eating dog in some places might be as common as eating beef is to us. So who's right?

I guess this is something we could turn on the flipside. Would Americans stop eating beef because of outrage from Hindus? Probably not. I hate the practice and would stop it immediately if I could, but its a part of a culture. That's kind of a difficult thing to stop and be truly outraged about.

8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

Not all Americans are anglos. I grew up in predominantly Filipino neighborhood, and we could smell the roasting of dog hairs every now and then. It has a distinctive smell to it. I can't really explain it here. But it is different. Also my Grandparents were Chinese and they ate everything. Not all Americans have the same culture.

9. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

Yulin is disgusting. The thing is, sharing a picture on social media is not going to do anything about the festival. I am really not entirely sure if there is anything that the American people can do about this monstrosity.

10. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

It may be traditional in their country to eat dogs but the part that really gets to me and makes it so wrong is that they are stealing family pets. Pets are a part of people's family. This needs to be stopped. Turkeys are raised to be eaten for Thanksgiving. They dogs belong to people. They are stolen pets.